Journey-2-Peace has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.trishmonaco.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Random Blog Journey-2-Peace: Counting My Countryside Blessings

    Trish Monaco.
    singer. songwriter.
    dog walker.
    human. living.
    loving. laughing.
    in Los Angeles

headshot3web

Journey-2-Peace has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.trishmonaco.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Counting My Countryside Blessings

I've been missing LA like crazy but I'm also grateful for the things I can only find around here. Nature being a huge chunk of it.

It's corn season. I've watched the fields go from brown soil to tall tasseled corn over the last few months. Most of the corn is for the cows but some is sold curbside to the local residents.

On our way home last night, we stopped at a neighbor's picnic table. No one was around. Just the table and fresh veggies. Corn was on my mind. A small handmade sign read "Corn $.50 an ear."

Next to the sign was a handmade wooden box and lid. Inside was a pretty good pile of ones and fives. We added two dollars to the pile, chose four fresh ears of corn and drove the remaining few hundred feet down the street to our driveway.

Papa-PBX had already begun preparing fresh zucchini, squash, green beans, tomato and onion from his garden. We added the corn and within minutes we had the most delicious and inexpensive meal of the year. I was so full that I passed up salad from our garden.

I've driven through farmlands in other parts of the country. I've bought fresh produce from local farmers. But usually someone is there to monitor the produce and the cash. This was just cool.

Labels: ,

Comments on "Counting My Countryside Blessings"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:33 PM) : 

Hey Trish,
There is nothing more satisfying than eating the results of your own toil. I am So into the simple life and nature so I know exactly what you mean. Glad to know you made a great memory.
Hugs to you and yours,
RC

 

post a comment