Journey-2-Peace has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.trishmonaco.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Random Blog Journey-2-Peace: Procrastinating

    Trish Monaco.
    singer. songwriter.
    dog walker.
    human. living.
    loving. laughing.
    in Los Angeles

headshot3web

Journey-2-Peace has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.trishmonaco.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Procrastinating

So I have to write a five page autobiographical statement as part of my admissions application for the Masters in Psychology program. Sounds exciting. But damn - it's difficult.

Five pages of what? I don't really want to disclose too much but I want to disclose enough to exhibit my ability to self-reflect. It's going to take longer than just one sitting. I thought it might. But I was hoping it wouldn't.

Funny how I get up to do things I've been putting off when I'm supposed to be writing. I guess it's a good way to get me to blog. When I have to do something, I become more resistant. Must be the rebel in me. The part of me that doesn't like to commit. The me that doesn't want to be tied down or labeled or put in a box.

My college transcripts arrived and I must say, it's a good thing I'm applying to this particular psych program. While they care about an applicant's undergrad studies, they are more interested in current ability and less interested in past grades.

Whew.

As an undergrad, I knew Hollywood wouldn't care about my grades. Too bad, 'cause I kicked some acting and directing ass. Had I known my grades would matter elsewhere, I might have applied myself a teensy bit more.

My grades were fine. They just weren't excellent. And they certainly weren't my best. I remember. My college years were long ago but not that long ago.

I found out I have enough Early Childhood Education credits to qualify as a pre-school teacher and/or full-time substitute teacher. And those grades were great.

Anyway, I should get back to the task at hand. I'm suddenly remembering the key role procrastination played during my studying career.

Labels: ,

Comments on "Procrastinating"

 

Blogger Robbie said ... (6:02 AM) : 

It's amazing how much I get done when I have something else to do that I want to do less but need to do more.

Happy writing!

 

Blogger gigi said ... (9:36 AM) : 

Congratulations! That's wonderful news. You'd make a terrific teacher.

I have an idea ~ just send the admissions department a link to your blog. Presto ~ instant autobiography! With pics and commentary, no less!

Brilliant! ;D

 

Blogger Wil said ... (11:04 AM) : 

Aside from your personal sexuality, which is a) none of their business and, b) likely to cause a negative reaction from uber-conservative New Hampshire school committee circles, what's there to reveal?

No harm nor foul accumulate from a career as a struggling actor/singer-songwriter/producer/director.
Your work with animals can be spun into an asset to academia. Travel is a broadening experience -- they don't need to know it was from being seated 12 hours a day.

Get my drift? Good luck and remember, school boards are even more ignorant than the general populace. Keep your writing at the fourth grade level.

 

Blogger Trish said ... (4:25 PM) : 

Robbie - I know you can relate! We met while you were in school -- you did a LOT of blogging then! ;)

Gigi - Give them the link to my blog? Ha. Not sure if I want to reveal that much.

I've thought about teaching all along. It's there. Just not calling to me in the same way this other stuff is. Thanks for the compliment. :)

Wil - It's interesting what comes to mind when I talk of revealing parts of myself. I never even considered my sexuality as something to mention in the five pages. It's kind of a non-issue - or less relevant than other things (like previous careers and personal growth). So no worries there.

Fourth grade level. Got it! Thanks.

Hey, I'll be in Maine sometime this summer. Perhaps our paths will cross.

 

post a comment