Journey-2-Peace has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.trishmonaco.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Random Blog Journey-2-Peace: Blog Against Sexism Day

    Trish Monaco.
    singer. songwriter.
    dog walker.
    human. living.
    loving. laughing.
    in Los Angeles

headshot3web

Journey-2-Peace has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.trishmonaco.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Blog Against Sexism Day

warning: this post contains strong language

Ah yes, Blog Against Sexism Day. Here already.

This a difficult subject for me sometimes. As a woman I often feel criticized for ... well, for being a woman. I support equal rights among the sexes. Any time I express my opinion, it's going to be strong because I have a strong personality.

I've been violated by both men and women. Somehow, when I express my feelings about these experiences, I'm often dismissed as a man-hater.

Anyone who knows me, knows I'm not a man-hater. I'm not a hater. Period. If anything, I've given perpetrators too much slack. Mostly because I know everyone is human. We all make mistakes. Some make bigger mistakes than others. But that's not for me to judge. I may have feelings about mistakes others make but the process of healing is my own.

I imagine some men would feel threatened by my process. Apparently, some women do too. It is most discouraging and hurtful when the attacks of slander come from other women.

Bitch. Whore. Douchebag. Home-wrecker. Slut. Cunt.

These are all words used to describe women in the derogatory form.

The words themselves are not bad, it's the energy behind the use of these words that create separation.

Sadly, I expect this kind of energy from men who feel threatened by women. What's worse is when women use these words to assail other women. This behavior perpetuates sexism within our gender. Sexism will always prevail if we don't stop treating each other this way.

This is a call to all women.
Women who hate on other women. Women who slander other women. Women who feel threatened by other women. Women who blame other women for being victims. Women who are intolerant of abused women. Women who want others to make changes they see fit. Women who are jealous of other women.

I am not exempt. This reminder is all-inclusive:

Please ...
women, girls, sisters, mothers, daughters, wives, friends, lovers ... teach by example -- love and support one another. Empower each other. The only way to make a change is to be the change.


Links of interest:

International Women's Day
National Women's History Project
V-Day - Until the Violence Stops
Equal Rights Amendment
National Organization for Women

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Blog Against Sexism Day"

 

Anonymous mariposa said ... (11:53 AM) : 

right on sister.
loving you all ways...

 

Anonymous Kurt said ... (3:21 PM) : 

As a guy, I can't add much to the discussion, except that you make a lot of sense.
But then again, anyone who likes Jason Mraz is ok by me!

 

Blogger Heather said ... (4:25 AM) : 

Amen girl.
Awesome post!
Have a good weekend!

 

post a comment