Journey-2-Peace has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.trishmonaco.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Random Blog Journey-2-Peace: Health Insurance Questions

    Trish Monaco.
    singer. songwriter.
    dog walker.
    human. living.
    loving. laughing.
    in Los Angeles

headshot3web

Journey-2-Peace has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.trishmonaco.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Health Insurance Questions

Help!

I've been researching health insurance plans. My head is spinning. I could easily go with the top names (Blue Cross, Aetna) and pay high premiums as a self-employed individual. With them, I'm sure to be covered comprehensively - for regular check-ups and emergency care. But with the recent increase (almost 50%) this year for these premiums, I'm already looking for alternative ways to bring in money, just to pay for health care coverage.

There is another option - and this is what makes me nervous. I've contacted non-profit groups who offer group plans for the self-employed. But these two companies pop up on the internet with complaints of fraud. BUT...for every fraudulent complaint, there is a rebuttal of praise for the companies.

What do you know about Mega Health and/or Mid-West National Life Insurance Companies? They are one in the same.

I postponed my appointment with the underwriter today. I need more information.

I want a PPO that I can afford. I want to choose my own doctors and know that I'm covered for emergency care should accidents occur. A co-pay is better than a deductible (imo) -- because, even after paying a deductible, there's still some kind of co-pay or percentage pay.

Anyway - thoughts?

Labels: ,

Comments on "Health Insurance Questions"

 

Blogger Wil said ... (1:20 PM) : 

Health insurance is a quagmire, particularly for the self-insured. My best advice is to get a screen role with enough substance to re-up your SAG health insurance every year...

 

Anonymous Bill said ... (8:05 AM) : 

My name is Bill and I work for MEGA as part of their agency marketing team. Both MEGA and Mid-West are owned by the same parent company, HealthMarkets (www.healthmarkets.com). Both companies have a variety of health plans that offer our customers the flexibility to customize a plan that will best meet their needs. There are too many options to post here, but I'm happy to have someone call you to provide more information. Send me a note at bill.shelton@hmamg.com, or visit www.healthinsbenefits.com.
Thanks for asking.

 

Blogger The Boisverts said ... (9:09 AM) : 

Hey Trish, just wanted you to know that Carie is in the process of starting her own business; I feel like you and she may have some of the same style so I wanted to forward the name of her business site to you (the web page is still in the works). It's: EarthMamadesigns.com
Just thought you might want to check it out sometime in the future when she's up and running. Take care.

 

Blogger Nancy said ... (10:13 AM) : 

This is SUCH a sore spot for me...the whole thing just pisses me off. Sorry you too, have to deal with it. And I can't even offer any suggestions. Sorry.

Nancy

 

Blogger happygromitla said ... (1:42 PM) : 

HI, Trish--I was with MegaLife for about two years. Like you, I'm freelance and I thought they offered a good deal. I would NOT recommend them. First of all, the person who does the interview will offer you the world--I was told the policy would cover all sorts of wonderful things, like my night guard, etc. Once you get the policy, you find out it doesn't. Second, the policy is very convoluted in terms of what they pay and don't pay. I barely ever go to the doctor, but when I did, I found that nearly none of the charges were covered. I ended up switching to Blue Cross--they have a special policy for freelance type people with no deductible at all. Again, I don't go to the doctor much, so this works for me. I pay $197 a month and I'm 48 (though I think it's going up next month to $208).
Sandra from yoga

 

Blogger Trish said ... (3:50 PM) : 

Will - that is the BEST suggestion I've heard yet! Thanks for that lift.

Bill - thanks for the info.

Hey Cousin! I sent Carie an email. Her site sounds wonderful. Thanks for letting me know.

Nancy - awww...sorry girl. :(

Sandy - Thanks much! You've confirmed my instincts. I really appreciate it. I've already applied with Blue Cross. Just waiting on underwriting. How are you? Doing yoga and subtitling still? :)

 

post a comment