Journey-2-Peace has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.trishmonaco.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Random Blog Journey-2-Peace: V for Vendetta

    Trish Monaco.
    singer. songwriter.
    dog walker.
    human. living.
    loving. laughing.
    in Los Angeles

headshot3web

Journey-2-Peace has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.trishmonaco.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

V for Vendetta

I love when I am emotionally moved by a movie - especially one I think I'm not going to like.

I just finished watching V for Vendetta for the second time this weekend. I was most resistant to adding this movie to our Netflix queue. Even after its arrival, it sat in our DVD player for almost a week. We waiting as long as we could. It had to be watched.

I'm not so good with writing reviews. It's particularly difficult for me to review a futuristic, political, sci-fi flick. Probably because I try to convince myself that these are not my "type" of movies. However, I've been enthralled with many from this genre (1984, A Clockwork Orange, Fight Club). Perhaps today it's more difficult to miss the similarities between the messages in these movies and what's going on in our country today.

The title threw me way off. V for Vendetta sounded like a thrill-kill flick (like the Kill Bill series, of which I can't watch for more than thirty seconds due to the graphic violence). Turns out, it's not. Don't get me wrong, V is violent. I can name three significant scenes I watched through my fingers. But there's a message of empowerment and freedom - overcoming fear by overthrowing the totalitarian government, knowing truth, thinking for oneself - that spoke to the core of me.

Natalie Portman did an amazing job on this project. Even her British accent. I wanted to find flaws. I tried to distract from the film and criticize her botched-britt-ness. I'm no expert but her accent never took me out of the story. That's what matters. I had to readjust my ears when listening to her native tongue during interviews on the DVD extras.

And who didn't fall in love with V? Seriously, I can't be the only one whose heart skips a beat at the thought of his sensitivity, his brilliant mind, and his sexy English accent. And that face! Who wouldn't love a Guy Fawkes mask? Okay, maybe not-so-much the face. Amazing how the man behind the mask can be so alluring. Proof that love is internal.

Anyway, that's what I did tonight - and last night. I've also read a few articles - the history of Guy Fawkes, some reviews of the movie, comparisons of other utopian/dystopian classics, and the list goes on.

Did you see V for Vendetta? What are your thoughts?

Labels: , ,

Comments on "V for Vendetta"

 

Blogger R2K said ... (5:14 AM) : 

: )

 

Blogger Cynthia said ... (6:20 AM) : 

I have absolutely fallen in love with this movie. The script is phenomenal, literate and tight, and normally, I'm not a Wachovski brothers fan. (The Matrix series bored me.) Hugo Weaving's voice and body language are just incredible, and you're right, Natalie Portman is nearly flawless. I love the message and the theme. The visuals are incredible. I love it at the end, when some of the "black bagged" people remove their masks in the crowd scene. I loved the irony of John Hurt playing the supreme chancellor after he'd been the hero of 1984 earlier in his career. Well, I could go on even more, but this movie is wonderful

 

post a comment