Journey-2-Peace has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.trishmonaco.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Random Blog Journey-2-Peace: Pan's Labyrinth - Question

    Trish Monaco.
    singer. songwriter.
    dog walker.
    human. living.
    loving. laughing.
    in Los Angeles

headshot3web

Journey-2-Peace has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.trishmonaco.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Pan's Labyrinth - Question

We went to the movies yesterday - first time in ... a long time. Aside from student films, I can't remember the last movie I saw at the theater. It might have been last summer - with PBX and PBX-Jr.

Now I'm stuck on figuring it out. I know we saw Pirates and The Devil Wears Prada. After that, the fall is a blur.

Anyway...

We saw Pan's Labyrinth yesterday. A sweet little sci-fi fantasy -- NOT! Be warned. This is not the movie we expected to see. I'd describe it as a violent, thriller-tragedy - with nothing held back. Very well done. Great acting. It's a Spanish film - subtitled - and I even stayed with it. If you know me, you know I despise having to read while watching a film. Subtitles take me out of the story because I'm a slow reader. However, this film moved slow enough for me. I found myself spinning my hands trying to move the story along.

I'm still trying to figure out if I liked the story or not. Just because it wasn't what I was expecting, doesn't mean it wasn't good. It was so heavy. We went to an early show - but it knocked us out for the rest of the night.

Be careful - it has an R rating - not just for the mature theme - but definitely because of the graphic violence. And I mean graphic. I could hardly watch some of it. Many of us were squirming and squealing in our seats. It was very discomforting.

At one point I was angry - hating the movie. It was then that I realized it must be a good film - anything that makes me feel so strongly. I hated what was happening on so many levels. This story grinded my soul in a deep way. At the very same time, I feel a deep sense of respect for the filmmakers and actors involved. Compassion like no other for the protagonists and deep rage for the antagonist. It's the only way I know to explain it.

I'm being vague because I don't want to spoil the story.

QUESTION: If you have seen, or you plan to see (or not) Pan's Labyrinth, what are your thoughts?

Labels: ,

Comments on "Pan's Labyrinth - Question"

 

Blogger NicaGirl said ... (7:41 PM) : 

Hi there! I found your blog after doing a sesrch for blogs that mentioned "Pan's Labyrinth". I saw it Friday night and have not been able to get it out of my head since then. It has become one of my favorite movies. It's definitely very dark, violent, disturbing but also haunting and beautiful at the same time. And the acting was phenomenal. I will probably go see this movie at least once more while it is still in theaters and will most likely buy it when it comes out on DVD.

 

post a comment