Journey-2-Peace has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.trishmonaco.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Random Blog Journey-2-Peace: Hidden Cameras

    Trish Monaco.
    singer. songwriter.
    dog walker.
    human. living.
    loving. laughing.
    in Los Angeles

headshot3web

Journey-2-Peace has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.trishmonaco.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Hidden Cameras

One thing I really like about the world wide web is the ability to keep informed. Reading and watching opinions, news, ideas, creations of people - you, me, us - the general public. I recently watched this short documentary on Revver. (more about revver.com in a future post - lots of good info.)

It's not new information that we are governed by the big corporations. It just reminds me that it is important to pay attention. The more we know, the more we can make a change (if we so choose).

This leads me to my point of discussion today:

Hidden cameras
. (Spy cams. Nanny cams.)

There's a woman in the UK who posted this video on YouTube where she documents her short walk home, encountering fifteen different closed-circuit cameras. One of which is located right outside her bedroom window.

I'm getting hot under the collar just thinking about it. Apparently I have strong opinions about this.

Placing hidden cameras in public (or private) property is a blatant violation of our rights to privacy. That is not to say a security camera should not be used. I just believe if a surveillance camera is in place, it should be clearly marked. We have a right to know when, where and by whom we are being watched, filmed or recorded.

It gets worse: I came across this hidden camera built in recorder. Ack! The "clock radio" looks bedroom-specific. It's difficult to detect because of the wireless feature (no wires leading to the VCR) and apparently it's easy enough for our non-techie grandparents to set up.

This isn't what I would define as a reasonable "security camera." This is a spy cam - with no intention of being 'discovered'.

Who would want one of these? There is no reason - no good explanation - for this kind of device. Convince me otherwise - that's a challenge.

It reminds me of a news story I saw a while back, about parents placing hidden cameras in the house - and some in their kids' bedrooms. The parents would spy on their kids from their computer at work or from another room in the house. This kind of behavior from fearful/controlling parents steams me to no end.

What positive thing can something like this possibly accomplish? Trust? I think not! It's a violation. A new kind of child abuse. Yes, I feel that strongly about it.

Peeping Tom's get arrested (if caught). What makes a spy cam any different? It's worse. It can be recording 24/7. And the watcher(s) can be anywhere in the world...or in the next room.

Ironically, the same company that makes these StealthCams also makes the only device that can detect it: the Spy Finder Hidden Camera Detector. Let's call it the new stocking stuffer! Gone are the good ole days of speed radar detectors. Every person should carry a camera detector on their keychain - or backpack!

I'm very curious - and completely serious - what's your opinion? What are your thoughts and feelings about hidden cameras? Reply with a comment, blog, vlog or email.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Comments on "Hidden Cameras"

 

Blogger Judith HeartSong said ... (4:47 PM) : 

akkkk..... I have strong feelings about this too. There are so many forms of technology now just waiting to be abused by someone.

Good and unsettling post.

judi

 

Blogger The Boisverts said ... (10:13 AM) : 

I have a mommy-cam set up in my boys' room.



(Just kidding!!) no i don't. And I'm guessing I would not ever b/c it does seem like taking things a step too far. However, as a parent, I now do things that I behaved strongly about before I had kids. So even though I now say I disagree with spy-cams of any kind, I can't say that over time my opinion will change as my boys become teenagers... pretty confident it won't but can't be 100% considering my other changed-viewpoints.

 

Blogger The Boisverts said ... (10:15 AM) : 

oops, since i'm an exhausted momma and can't spell or think, apparently, (or proof-read for that matter)... let me re-write one part: "I now do things that I BELIEVED strongly about before I had kids..."
(sorry for the typo)

 

post a comment