Journey-2-Peace has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.trishmonaco.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Random Blog Journey-2-Peace: Whisperer or Whipperer

    Trish Monaco.
    singer. songwriter.
    dog walker.
    human. living.
    loving. laughing.
    in Los Angeles

headshot3web

Journey-2-Peace has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.trishmonaco.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Friday, November 03, 2006

Whisperer or Whipperer

This is how I feel about Cesar Millan. I didn't like him when I met him -- but I couldn't really pinpoint why. Turns out it's because of his machismo, dominant, anti-American views. Plus his statements about coming to America, making a huge name and tons of money to then go back to his culture all rich and famous. Nothing wrong with that but it's been his public goal since he made his way to the public eye. How then is our culture so enthralled (brainwashed) with his way?

He's closing his Dog Psychology Center, but there's no information about where or "what form" it will "live on." Perhaps it shouldn't.

I wonder if all the "sue-age" is getting to him.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12648003
http://rushprnews.com/DOG-WHISPERER-SUED-press-release-05022006.html

I've seen one of his trainees in action. Violent-beyond-belief. Jerking the choke chain, lifting the dogs front paws off the ground, shoving dogs against fences, benches and trash cans, chasing, wrestling, tackling and slamming dogs to the ground. Not to mention kicking. I was/am outraged by his "techniques."

I was at that park recently to find out that one dog this trainee was helping to 'rehabilitate' bit another dog and the owner (a dog walker) fled the scene.

I've never seen The Dog Whisperer on TV. But every time someone asks if I've seen it (because of an instinctive "tsh" sound I use) I cringe.

Everyone has an instinctive ability to relate -- whether it's with another human, an animal, nature or other forms. I've found that there are many different ways to achieve positive results from dogs in my group. Every dog is different. Just as every person is different. How can one training method work for all dogs? When has violent or aggressive behavior ever achieved positive results? We are at war, after all. I guess it's true - like love, violence starts at home.

Comments on "Whisperer or Whipperer"

 

Blogger Heather said ... (11:57 AM) : 

i do not like caesar. i think he's a pompous asshole, and i always have. good post, as usual, my dear.
xox ♥

 

Blogger MzAmy said ... (1:37 PM) : 

"Everyone has an instinctive ability to relate"

so, true. very well put.
and our 'emotional training'
in life, guides our instincts.

everything that is important and good, should begin at home.
unfortunately, that is not always the case.

I do not know of this ceaser guy.
or his recruits....I only own a cat, and I do not go to dog parks.
But, I enjoyed your written opinion very much.

 

Blogger Judith HeartSong said ... (4:24 AM) : 

oh, I don't like this guy at all.... he gets a kick out of domination. The communicators that I know and work with are TOTALLY against that method.

judi

 

Blogger Dr. Max said ... (10:25 AM) : 

I can't speak for Caesar's Hollywood habits... frankly, I don't care.

However, what he teaches on the show is legit, and if you call anything that he's done on the show abuse or violent, you're overreacting.

A yank on the chain or grabbing the dog to "slam" him on the ground, does not hurt the dog. What hurts the dog is to nurture all behaviors with positive reinforcement ALL THE TIME.

All dogs ARE the same in that they don't have a cerebral cortex. Therefore, the way they communicate vocally and mentally is very limited. Therefore, the claim Caesar has of the dogs understanding energy- dominant, submissive, aggressive, calm- is all extremely legit.

And he has the results to back it up, and I have tested these results myself, and no dogs were harmed. They are all very happy now and I don't have to worry about anyone getting hurt from the dogs or the dogs hurting themselves or having to be put to sleep.

Avoiding aggression, violence, and confrontation harbors much more tragedy than you think, because in doing so, you open yourself up to be manipulated. Many times, that manipulation is hurtful and unhealthy.

 

post a comment