Journey-2-Peace has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.trishmonaco.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Random Blog Journey-2-Peace: Death Row Inmates on Myspace

    Trish Monaco.
    singer. songwriter.
    dog walker.
    human. living.
    loving. laughing.
    in Los Angeles

headshot3web

Journey-2-Peace has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.trishmonaco.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Death Row Inmates on Myspace

Wow. Myspace is getting a lot of flack over the 'quality' of some of their members. At least 30 of them are in Texas.

People are up in arms over death row inmates having profiles here. They are demanding that Rupert Murdoch remove their profiles immediately. (too many links to reference. do a google search and you'll see what i mean)

The profiles in question apparently aren't being maintained by the inmates, since those on death row don't have internet access. Instead, the profiles are more like support pages from loved ones. There they post letters from the inmate as journal entries. The pages look like any other page.

I'm against the death penalty. I'm all for rehab and doing time for a crime. But murder is murder.

There are plenty of internet predators that live on "the outside" -- those are the ones we need to be concerned with. Why not give death row inmates access to the internet? They're (most likely) not getting out. They can take this one last experience to the grave.

Okay, that's not my original point here. But it's a strong one.

Folks are ranting about how myspace is "humanizing" these inmates. Hello! They are human. Our so-called justice system says otherwise. Everyone makes mistakes. EVERYONE. Fear will make some humans act inhumane.

I went to one inmate's page and found it to be just as interesting as the average person's page. The only difference was knowing this guy would soon be dead. His comments thread was filled with book suggestions, ways to find peace, support during these last months on earth.

What's so wrong with that?

Not nearly as disturbing as JoeSchmo in the apartment building next door posing as a schoolgirl to lure children to his playground!

Priorities people.

Comments on "Death Row Inmates on Myspace"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:24 PM) : 

You've got to be fucking kidding me.

 

Blogger Trish said ... (6:32 PM) : 

hey "anonymous" you coward. you have the right to speak your filthy mind - only when you identify yourself.

 

Blogger butterfly said ... (6:52 PM) : 

Thank you for this interesting point of view.I run a pen pal ministry for death row inmates and I also have a page on myspace for them, not one only specifically. I do appreciate to know that there are people like you out here.
blessings to you

Liane Legey

 

Blogger Robbie said ... (7:37 PM) : 

I say delete anonymous since they don't have the 'nads to show themselves. Puhlease!

Anyhow. I'm definitely against the death penalty. However, I'm not so kind hearted that I think inmates of any kind should have access to the internet. It's hard enough sifting through the predators on the outside, we don't need known criminals as well to worry about.

Inmates don't live in a vacuum. They could use their time online to prey on the vulnerable who might be gullible enough to fall for their scheming and then pass what information they get onto those who aren't safely locked behind bars.

Just my two cents. I soooooooo apreciate reading yours though. It's a rare occasion for you to get political in any kind of way.

 

Blogger Tom Bailey said ... (7:46 PM) : 

"Why not give death row inmates access to the internet?"

Have you considered that the internet could be used to conduct more crimes? What if people on death row typed in code and sent messages to have people killed? I have seen some of the codes on television used in crime it is very sophisticated. I just wouldnt want to be the first victim of a crime like that and have to explain it to the family members that lost a love one so a person on death row could have more rights.

Just a thought.

 

Blogger Trish said ... (7:57 PM) : 

Robbie, Thanks much for your 2c's. I agree with you actually. Predators are predators. Whether convicted or not.

I wonder though, if kids see known criminals online and they see that they look like anyone else, do you think it could make kids more cautious. What does a predator look like? A regular person.

Didn't mean to get political. It just kind of happened.

 

Blogger Trish said ... (8:04 PM) : 

Hi Tom, thank you for your thoughts. Valid point. Makes complete sense to me.

My comment about giving inmates internet access was mainly to prove its absurdity. Other inmates (the one's not on death row) get limited access. Criminals and predators on the outside have unlimited access.

I posted about it because I'm torn. I don't think any criminal should be online (whether behind bars or free). However, I do think everyone is human. A criminal has family and loved ones just like any other human.

 

Blogger Irene said ... (8:51 PM) : 

I'm also against the death penalty. This is a highly controversial topic and I think it's brave of you to speak your mind and make a stand. Heck, I'm not even ballsy enough to to get a tattoo! ;p

 

Blogger Trish said ... (8:44 AM) : 

Hi Irene - I didn't know what I was getting myself into. Just posting thoughts in my little corner of the web. Apparently it's a hot topic. If it gets me thinking and feeling, then it's always good. Even if it doesn't always feel good.

Getting a tattoo feels a lot different. ;)

 

Blogger alphawoman said ... (3:45 PM) : 

Allowing inmates to use the internet is probably asking for trouble. Think of all the scams those crooks could run? I for one, do not feel much sympathy for murders. Though, I do not believe in the death penalty.

 

post a comment