Journey-2-Peace has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.trishmonaco.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Random Blog Journey-2-Peace: Anything Can Happen

    Trish Monaco.
    singer. songwriter.
    dog walker.
    human. living.
    loving. laughing.
    in Los Angeles

headshot3web

Journey-2-Peace has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.trishmonaco.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Anything Can Happen

This is why it's important for me to keep up with my blogging. Things change quickly and drastically around here ... and often.

Just when I thought we didn't have to move, we received a letter saying our rent would increase another 4% starting October 1st. These landlords are by-the-book as far as rent control is concerned. They don't miss a single opportunity to raise the rent when they legally can. So not only were we already paying outrageous rent for a one-bedroom apartment, we now are expected to pay even more! So, the search for a new home continued.

We were close to signing a lease on a duplex two days ago, until we saw another place in a more desirable area. However, the "more desirable" place hasn't taken any calls from anyone. She's "not ready to show it yet." Then why list it? is our question.

So on a whim, PBX answered an obscure ad via email and off we were to look at a 3-bedroom house. Why not? We've looked at everything else. Why not take a chance on this cheap house. At some point we wondered if the ad was for a bedroom in a house. You know, around colleges, people rent to students.

But nope. It's a whole 3-bedroom house with a huge backyard. Huge. Like 1/2 an acre. That's huge for Los Angeles. The asking rent is $200 less than what we're paying now. Everything inside is new/fixed. It's bright. It has laundry hookups. Comes with fridge and range. It's on a beautiful street. The neighbors were welcoming when we talked to them about the area.

The hitch, if there has to be one? It's in a less-than-desirable area. Mostly, it's in an area that I'm more unfamiliar with. I've lived in less safe areas. I probably live in one now. But you know, you're as safe as you feel.

The street is beautifully lined with tall palm trees. The homes are well kept. Kids were playing in their yards. As we sat on the stoop in front of the gate of the vacant house, waiting for the landlord, I felt as if I was sitting in front of home. PBX said the same thing.

I don't wanna jinx it. There's nothing about this place that makes me feel uncomfortable -- except that it's further from the beach than I've lived in a long while (10 miles). But, did I mention the yard? I could garden again.

The landlord wants us in, like now, so we're just waiting on paperwork. We have to give notice here first. And until papers are signed, we need to hold off.

Anything can happen.

In the meantime, I'm researching that neighborhood. Community, city planning, crime rates, etc. So far, no major red-flags. A few small ones, but nothing more than where we live right now. Again, anything can happen.

Comments on "Anything Can Happen"

 

Blogger ally said ... (1:12 PM) : 

hope ya get the house. a yard in la??? that's far and few between. good luck.

 

Blogger tiny dancer said ... (6:36 AM) : 

When I read "garden" I ewed and awed!! My heart lept out of my chest!

Keep us posted!

 

Blogger BAF said ... (6:53 PM) : 

The saying is...'There are no ordinary moments' - everything happens for a reason. Good luck with the seemingly lucky break.

 

Blogger Gordy said ... (10:30 AM) : 

Good luck with the house thing. I can only imagine the hassles of moving again, but I hope it works out.

G

 

Blogger Robbie said ... (9:40 AM) : 

All ask for is parking. :-D

Seriously, if you feel safe there that's all that matters. That's a steal in this market. My rent just increased! Urggg!!! I can't really complain though. It's coming on three years in December and she hasn't increased it since move in.

And...yes you do need to blog more often. :-D

 

post a comment