Journey-2-Peace has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.trishmonaco.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Random Blog Journey-2-Peace: The Little Bike That Could

    Trish Monaco.
    singer. songwriter.
    dog walker.
    human. living.
    loving. laughing.
    in Los Angeles

headshot3web

Journey-2-Peace has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.trishmonaco.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The Little Bike That Could

I've been reminded! I live in a great city. I somehow had forgotten all that I loved about living here.

Yesterday we took a bike ride down to the beach. I haven't ridden a bike in years. How many? Let's see, I remember living in my very first Venice apartment, riding on the bikepath, wearing headphones listening to brand new recording artists, Sheryl Crow and Alanis Morissette, on my yellow Sony Sports Walkman ... until my bike was stolen.

I found out yesterday, riding a bike is not so much just like riding a bike. It takes great skill to balance, pedal and watch all angles at the same time. It's quite possible that my swivel seat had something to do with my imbalance. That and the crooked handlebars, heavy basket, warped fender and the fact that every turn of the front tire rubs against a pedaling foot.

No matter. We found the Culver City bike path that supposedly would take us to our desired destination. Instead we somehow ended up on the 90 freeway - about two miles south of our intended goal. This was about the time when we created our own bike path - through the parkinglots of Marina del Rey, onto Stinkin' Lincoln Blvd and finally back to Washington Blvd.

It took us less than an hour to get completely lost and find the beach.



We stopped into Islands for a bite to eat. This is where I remembered all that I loved about living here. It felt like we were on vacation, yet we were only a few miles from home. The ocean breeze. The surfers. The canals. The Cow's End. All of it.

We decided we'd like to find an alternative way to ride home. We were determined to find the best way to/from the beach so we'd be prepared for the summer. Instead, we found the absolute longest route home.

We started on Washington Blvd, went south hoping for more of a bike path along the water where a dead-end led us to lift our bikes over the sand onto the nearest street east. We rode around the alphabet streets of Marina del Rey that brought us full-circle to another dead-end. A mile and a half later, we were back on Washington Blvd where another section of a bike path led us further into the marina.

Here we stopped for groceries. Yes, that's right, groceries to add to the awkward handlebars and heavy basket.

After that, it was back onto Stinkin Lincoln across from the 90 freeway again. We hustled through parkinglots and gas stations and seedy areas of Mar Vista before we hit (you guessed it) Washington Blvd for a third time. We went three whole miles just to get half a mile up the street. Ahh but the view! All worth it.

At this point, the sun was setting, I was cold, my ass was chafing and my wrists were sore from braking. But we were finally on Washington and headed home. A direct shot up the street ... until ... Paula cut across three lanes of the street to make a left-hand turn.

When I yelled, Where are you going? is about the time she realized we weren't at the place she thought. So we took a back street tour of Culver City. Nice homes. Wished one of 'em was ours.

From there it wasn't long before we were actually home. GPS anyone?

Comments on "The Little Bike That Could"

 

Blogger Robbie said ... (9:05 PM) : 

"Stinkin' Linkin'"

Har har har...snort.

Umm...I'm thinkin' why didn't they just take the boardwalk to Venice and coast all the way down Venice. It's got a bike lane. Doesn't it?

 

Blogger BAF said ... (3:19 AM) : 

Great - bikers now! HOW do you get lost on a bike?? Hmmm I have just read how :-)) Next time download a map of planned route area and 'take it with you'. Late today there was a news flash of a cyclist on the central freeway of Auckland at Peak Hour!!! Now thats like the 405!!! I guess he was powered by a substance that shrunk the brain.
Have fun on the next ride (hey where did you find the bikes?)

 

Blogger tiny dancer said ... (11:33 AM) : 

Ah... I lost it on that last map home! Funny Stuff!

 

Blogger Gordy said ... (5:13 PM) : 

Freee!

On a bicycle! Yay, there are more things right with the world now.

Cool beans, entirely...

 

Blogger aims said ... (11:41 PM) : 

LOL! I Love the route back! =) But, hey .. what a great time y'all had! And a great workout too! Plus, you save a lot of gas money!!! whoohoo!

Love,
Mia

 

Blogger Judith HeartSong said ... (5:18 PM) : 

oh what a trip. judi

 

Blogger alphawoman said ... (6:27 AM) : 

Sounds like so much fun. Riding a bike in traffic is scary anymore!! Takes a brave soul. I have not been on one in awhile...hmmmmm

 

Blogger gigi said ... (2:01 PM) : 

What a great workout! I'm surprised you didn't decide to move some furniture while you were at it. Next time, can I come? That way, when we get lost and end up on the freeway we'll get to use the carpool lane. We can pedal 85 mph, right?

Of course we can.

 

Blogger sunflowerkat119 said ... (6:59 AM) : 

Thanks for the map. Now it all makes sense.

:)

 

Blogger ally said ... (9:07 PM) : 

lincoln *is* awful! that's why i take fiji to the smaller street to get to ocean blvd to get to santa monica (if i really have to go local). i can see how you got misdiverted. i blame it on the traffic.

 

Anonymous kristen said ... (8:10 AM) : 

That's funny. It's very easy to get lost along that bike path, even when you do it right. For a couple years I was a habitual cruiser of the Ballona Creek path. It's much easier if you avoid MDR altogether and just take a left off Ballona headed over the bridge & down to the Beach Cities.

I'm so jealous you live on that side of town! I never ride my bike now that I'm land locked.

 

post a comment