Journey-2-Peace has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.trishmonaco.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Random Blog Journey-2-Peace: I 'otter' be thankful

    Trish Monaco.
    singer. songwriter.
    dog walker.
    human. living.
    loving. laughing.
    in Los Angeles

headshot3web

Journey-2-Peace has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.trishmonaco.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

I 'otter' be thankful


Exhausted today. Busy, eventful weekend turned into a busy week.

Pictures are from the Aquarium of the Pacific. Had an amazing day with a few Yakkies.

I'm working double-time through Wednesday. Thankfully. A few of my clients have canceled in the last two weeks. It all evens out. I'm looking forward to having a few days off. Completely off. Not having to go anywhere or do anything. Unless I want to, of course.

Like taking a walk with Hunny on Thanksgiving morning. It's become tradition. The two of us and a cup of coffee. One of the few times Los Angeles is very quiet.



I love Thanksgiving. I think it's my favorite holiday. Not particularly for the traditional meanings, as I believe the day represents the big machines taking over the little guys just because they had more money and bigger guns. Sounds too familiar (J-Land Refugees). Notice my use of the term "J-Land" -- I find it's much better than naming the almighty corporation who overpowered the natives in our own land.

Okay, so I'm still angry. I'm not obsessed. I'm over it, really. I'm slowly moving out of that service. Very slowly. But not reluctantly. Big difference. Today I feel more comfortable over here. Every time I think about going back there, I get a blah feeling in the pit of my stomach. My heart sinks.



There's just no going back. I don't only mean in the physical sense, but in the spiritual sense. Even if the banner ads were removed, I just don't think I can trust that company to give me what I want in a service any longer. They have all the control. At any moment, for any reason, my account can be frozen, my uploaded files can be wiped out and my former journal can be deleted. All it would take is a single complaint, hearsay or even a so-called glitch. The company shoots first and doesn't even ask questions later. Heartless.

That's not who I am. I want service that's more flexible. I mean, geez, I'm paying you. Listen to me or lose me. Give me a fair trial.

I almost feel freer. Or, in my case freeer. It's like moving out of a gated community into a bigger city. But the best part is, many of my friends moved to the same city, or surrounding suburbs. And the ones who stayed in the gated community welcome us back in anytime. And they now have new and exciting places to visit.

Expanding our horizons.



I never imagined I would ever cancel my membership with the overlords in the gated community. It was always nice to know my email address wouldn't have to change even if I (physically) move. I move a lot. And when I couldn't afford cable internet service, I always had that dial-up option. Lots to consider I guess. But I'm ready for a change. And what better time than around the new year!

Comments on "I 'otter' be thankful"

 

Blogger Sie said ... (4:36 AM) : 

Nice to see how well you've settled in.

 

Blogger Robbie said ... (7:03 AM) : 

Gosh! You got some adorable pictures there. I'm not too impressed with mine. Sadly so.

I equate AOL and the interchange with them, for so many, with someone who is in an abusive relationship. The separation is hard because they had you under their thumb and made you feel like there wasn't life without them. Once you allow yourself the time to adjust and see what actually is out there and always has been, you begin to feel better and not look back longingly.

 

Blogger Robbie said ... (7:05 AM) : 

P.S. Text on your links: Great font! But....it's itty bitty unless I set my view to largest. But, I love what you're doing here and how you are really making it your own. :-)

 

Blogger Kat said ... (7:37 AM) : 

Really cute pictures Trish.
Love,
Kat

 

Blogger Trish said ... (10:05 AM) : 

Robbie mentioned the size of my links font. Thanks. I checked. They are itty-bitty.

I haven't made any changes to the layout in here since the other day. The links did not look like this last night. Or, maybe they did. If so, it's not intentional.

I'll get on it as soon as I get back from the dogpark. Ten-dog-day today! Plus an individual walk. And an afternoon visitor - Hunny's new best friend.

 

Blogger Becky said ... (10:22 AM) : 

LOL at that kid trying to feed the otter. Great photos!

 

Blogger Heather said ... (10:45 AM) : 

Aww, Trish, this is a great entry! And I absolutely love those pics. The otters are adorable! I so know what you mean about this whole thing. I've decided to write in my AOL J again, but put more attention to my blogger journal. It feels right for me. You have to do what makes you happy :)
Hugs,
Heather

 

Blogger alphawoman said ... (2:57 PM) : 

Love the pictures. Love the feel and look of your new site.

 

Blogger Laura said ... (4:19 PM) : 

pictures are so cute!
your Thanksgiving Day walk sounds so peaceful.
Laura

 

Blogger AlbGlinka said ... (9:52 PM) : 

Making the rounds visiting all the other displaced AOL refugees... it feels so weird-- I am sad today! But thank you for visiting my new blog, Trish. I'm sure we'll get all used to it.

Love the otter pictures! Have a great Thanksgiving. --Albert

 

Blogger Steven said ... (9:59 PM) : 

Nice shots!

 

Blogger jennifer said ... (2:59 AM) : 

Beautiful photos. I adore the sea creatures. I pretty much agree with you Trish. I'm going to keep fighting in my own way, because I believe in the cause, but I don't think I would go back either, at least not in the serious sense. They've shown in one move how truly unconcerned they are about their customers, which just leaves me with that serf-ish feel as I dust the dirty footprint off of my backside.

Happy Thanksgiving walk to Hunny and her mom.

 

Blogger Judith HeartSong said ... (2:27 PM) : 

I would love to see this place:):):)

 

Blogger ckays1967 said ... (3:42 PM) : 

Ya know now that they are giving away the e-mail.....who needs to pay them? As soon as I have copied my poetry.....it is hasta la vista, baby
Our secret.

I like this place better and now that all my friends moved I am thrilled to death.

:P

Your pictures are fabulous, I miss Califorinia more than I miss Arizona. And I lived in AZ LOL

 

Blogger ckays1967 said ... (3:44 PM) : 

Besides......I love seeing peoples pictures next to their comments. It is a kick in the pants.

 

Blogger alh said ... (1:18 AM) : 

the aquarium of the pacific is cool!!! those are nice photos. when i took mine i have a glare (from being too much of a newbie to shut the flash off).

Happy Thanksgiving! -=)

 

Blogger The BluDragoness said ... (5:48 AM) : 

I'm glad you're finding your new home more cozy. I've settled in nicely too.

The BluDragoness
http://thebludragoness.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Gator said ... (2:45 PM) : 

Trish,
Change is a good thing...it allows growth. AOL is just w r o n g for the invasion.
Lovin' the otters!
Have a wicked cool Thanksgiving!
Christie

http://gatorspictures.blogspot.com/
(yeah, I am part of the exodus...)

 

Blogger Sharky said ... (11:50 AM) : 

Great comment by Robbie....

anyway. Great pictures! so adorable, professional looking. love the soft blue colors. very peaceful. great job!
My Thanksgiving, was different, but not altogether bad. time for new traditions. I love your tradition, a nice quiet walk with your favorite pet, and a cup of hot coffee. A great time of reflection, not many people can get that on Thanksgiving. And, it is one of my favorite Holidays too. :)

 

Blogger gigi said ... (11:58 AM) : 

I am loving the look of your new place! (checking robbie's hints ;D) It's very nice and...glowy.

You're settling in beautifully, I must say. Wish I could say the same. I need curtains, I need flowers, I need furniture; I want a counter, a larger space for my toon, cooler fonts.

I know ~ shut up, Gidge. I 'otter be grateful' too ;). I am. It'll just take us late-adapters a little longer to settle in.

Happy Thanksgiving Cutie Pie!!

 

post a comment