Journey-2-Peace has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.trishmonaco.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Random Blog Journey-2-Peace: An AOL Refugee Grieves

    Trish Monaco.
    singer. songwriter.
    dog walker.
    human. living.
    loving. laughing.
    in Los Angeles

headshot3web

Journey-2-Peace has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.trishmonaco.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

An AOL Refugee Grieves

Things are a little crazy here. AOL just screwed the journaling/blogging community -- one that WE built (their paying customers) -- by adding flashing banner ads to the top of all of our journals. There's a major uproar over here - in my world - in my head - in my heart.

It may sound trite (it's just a blog), but it's not trite. It's important (it's my journal).

This whole week seems like one big blur. I still don't know how I feel about all this. I'm grieving. I get it. Stages. One minute I'm accepting of the fact that there's nothing I can do about the AOL Overlords. They can do what they want with their product. We just got used to having it a certain way.

The next minute I'm devastated. I've put a lot of heart and spirit into my online journal over there. I contributed greatly to build and sustain a wonderful community. (we all did. I'm just being selfish at the moment.)

Two years ago, the small AOL Journal community was scrounging to find new journals to read and promote.

Oh blah. See? Now I'm feeling sentimental. I've been robbed of something I wasn't ready to give up.

It was my plan to eventually move to another blogging site. But not this way. Today I feel as though our town was hit with a war attack over night. And we're left scrambling, salvaging, picking up pieces. The community we once knew, evacuated all at the same time. Links to new homes are spread out. Folks have shut down their AOL Journals. Some have left AOL. Others are staying, because they can't bear to part with the 'homes' they built these last two years.

Personally, I would stay if those damn banner ads didn't make me feel so sick to be in my own journal. It's graffiti to me. And I don't have the power/choice to clean it up.

It doesn't surprise me that AOL is doing this. We have banner ads on every single AOL window within the service. I just didn't expect it.

And the only last reason I have kept AOL at all was for journals. I have cable internet service. I don't need AOL. Especially since AOL now offers just about every service for free.

It's just time to move on. I'll still fight the good fight. I'm sending emails, posting comments, signing petitions. I won't give up hope. But I need to be willing to give up AOL Journals.

The thing I (we) need to remember is, we are part of an incredible community - with or without AOL Journals. At some point, I'll remember that. But for the moment, this sucks!

Comments on "An AOL Refugee Grieves"

 

Blogger Sharky said ... (1:21 PM) : 

::Sigh::

I HAVE to move, I can't even post anything in my journal anymore... I have moved though to the aol uk version, making it a mirror site of my old journal. I am just not ready to let go.....I am letting go of so much already. :(

but, I hear you Trish. I do.

 

Blogger V said ... (1:53 PM) : 

Trish,

And the only last reason I have kept AOL at all was for journals. I have cable internet service. I don't need AOL. Especially since AOL now offers just about every service for free.

Exactly how I feel.
V

 

Anonymous Gigi said ... (3:08 PM) : 

::::waaaaaaaa::::gulp gulp::::waaaaaaaa::::!!

I hate this. I miss our happy home.

Our happy, dysfunctional-but-ultimately-supportive home. :(

 

Blogger Heather said ... (4:08 PM) : 

I feel you, Trish. I really do.

I feel like I have come so far on my journal. I don't want to give up, even with the ads.

I don't know. I hate feeling so torn, I really do.

Hugs,
Heather

And email me, I'd love to help you out with the layout, darling.
xo

 

Blogger Warren said ... (4:49 PM) : 

I think you did absolutely the right thing. Support you 100%.

So, should I switch the link on my site over to here for good? Or is there hope that AOL will change their policy and you'll go back (sorry, AOL Politics Newbie).

Warren

 

Blogger Robbie said ... (9:02 PM) : 

They're just pixels. breath And, these play way better! Did you catch that "bold" and "italics" in the comments, no less? Speaking of which, I didn't start this fire, so where's my link? ;-p

 

Blogger ckays1967 said ... (9:08 PM) : 

Amen sister

To everything you said.....heck I haven't ever even used journals thru the AOL icon because it woun't load on my home computer. I use the "E"...

I had been sneaking around at blogspot for months trying it on for size. Stealth like.

Well, no more.


Welcome home.

 

Blogger ckays1967 said ... (9:12 PM) : 

PS: you can back date all you old entries so it will feel just like your old journal...


Like buying a new house and keeping your old furniture.

 

Blogger Steven said ... (9:46 PM) : 

I've been coming to terms with what AOL's done. I still have a photoblog going here.

I'm more annoyed at how unthought out the addition of a banner was. It's a shockingly lazy way to place an Ad. One shoe fits all. It's the same banner advert on the message boards and all over the webpages!

Oh well, I'm unique. We all want our own shoes

 

Blogger IndigoSunMoon said ... (6:29 AM) : 

Trish,
Girl I know exactly what you mean. I am grieving myself. I am so damn sad about all this...I can't hardly stand it.
I have a blogspot journal now, but I'm not happy. Not happy about any of this.
Love you!
Connie

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:54 AM) : 

Freee.... I have been awau from J-land for a bit and can't believe what's happened.... I'm totally irritated and trying to absorb it all before making any decisions. Most likely will finish photo-copying all my entries to put in my box and then cancel my journal. Start fresh here? My hubby would be thrilled if I cancelled AOL and as long as I can journal, somewhere, anywhere, I'll be ok. So will you... Michelle aka s0ngbird1962

 

Anonymous Donna said ... (8:37 AM) : 

I'm so sorry that it's caused you such an upset. I think it's only a matter of time before you'll feel right at home here.

I'd already gotten used to AOL's annoying changes when they messed up my message board hangout. They intend to put advertisements everywhere they can.

Donna aka clarity4today

 

Blogger Becky said ... (9:00 AM) : 

I'm with you. I've been a mess this week. So out of sorts. Upset, depressed, disconnected. I am rushing to copy over all my favorite entries from my old journal. My new blog is going to be a sort of "best of" for a while until I get caught up with the present day. I've got your new spot bookmarked. I'll get everyone into Bloglines eventually. Who needs alerts anyway. Humph. If only I could figure out how to move my address book, I'd be all set.

 

Blogger jennifer said ... (1:04 PM) : 

Oh God, how good it feels to hear from you guys. It's like I've had a death in my family, this hurts so badly. Grief. That IS what it is. And even though we CAN all stay together, it's just not the same.

I've been such a mess all week, swinging from the extremes from sadness to furor to complete confusion.

I can't stay there the way it is. But I don't want to leave.

Does anybody have any chocolate cake?

 

Blogger ckays1967 said ... (2:23 PM) : 

Trish...

It looks different here today. Did you change it again?

This is really kinda fun.

And better.

 

Blogger floralilia said ... (1:21 PM) : 

because you reminded me...

grieve no more my leetle butterfly.

http://theblogburbiatavern.blogspot.com/

 

post a comment